15 Things about Me- Travel Edition
It is snowing buckets outside my window while I pack for my next destination- Guadeloupe! A new destination to explore, a place to warm up my blood and work on my pasty winter complexion. In the meantime, here is a fun post- 15 things about me and my travels:
1) I’ve been to 78 countries of the World and 44 states in the United States
2) My second international trip my best friend and I were locked out of our apartment in Florence on arrival from the US and slept in a random hallway of an apartment building- not our own. We used my bath towel as a blanket and our backpacks as our pillows. I did not tell my mother this for a long time.
Years later, I returned to the scene, my Florence apartment door in Piazza San Lorenzo:
3) I have a great sense of direction and was once lost in Barcelona for hours because my group would not listen to me. My mother has the worst sense of direction- whatever way she thinks, we do the opposite. She knows it too, so its okay! 🙂
4) I turned down a trip to China a few years ago because the group was going to be spending 2 weeks in the smoggiest city in China. Smoggy China leads to coughing non-stop, black phlegm, and an overall sense of ickiness.
A not-smoggy section of China (Longmen Grottoes):
5) My sister used to live in Germany which was the coolest for having a home base in Europe. While backpacking around, I could stop and do laundry and steal my sister’s clothes when bored with my own threads.
She also took me to Oktoberfest with my nephew:
6) I secretly wish I could find a travel buddy that wanted to backpack with me through South America or Europe- I’m not picky (except the smoggiest city in China).
7) There have been long discussions in my house about buying an RV and road-tripping through the United States. BC wants to win the lottery first, I just want to go for it. We tentatively had decided on RV-ing out West in September.
8) I don’t eat breakfast unless it is included in the hotel price or I’m in New York City and can have an everything bagel. Maybe a delicious looking donut could tempt me too.
9) Sleeping on planes is not easy because I’m terrified of flying- someone has to stay awake and will the plane to stay in the sky.
10) I much prefer cold than hot. I can always put on more clothes but I can’t take it all off (and not get arrested). Some people glisten when they sweat, I turn tomato red.
11) My bedtime would be at 8pm every night if I could- especially on vacation. Sunset—> Bed
Sunset in Manzanita, Oregon:
12) I survive the winter only by going somewhere warm for part of it- Guadeloupe next week, followed by Kauai!!!
13) To save money to travel, I eat a lot of peanut butter toast for dinner at home. Also eating a lot of chips, farmers market fruit, and Diet Coke for dinner on the road saves a lot of $$$ for the next trip.
Rambutans in Tahiti:
14) I went cliff jumping in Greece once. It gave me severe vertigo for about 15 minutes. Never again!
15) Also in Greece, I got lost going from the front desk to my room after checking into The Pink Palace. in Corfu They gave out shots of Ouzo when you checked-in. Don’t drink Ouzo on an empty stomach- lesson learned!
Those were my 15 things about me- travel edition. How about you?
Reader question: What is one travel story you’ve never told your parents?